Friday, January 11, 2013

Another Good Man Laid to Rest

Today another good Pitts man was laid to rest. Elwood was my daddy's cousin, but of all of my daddy's cousins, and there are a lot of them, he was probably the one I saw the most growing up. I don't think I ever saw him without a smile, which says a lot because I know he didn't have the easiest of times in life. In ways he reminded me of my Uncle Wallace. They both lost small children in their lifetime and somehow found the strength to keep going.

Brandon and I were still dating the first time he met Elwood. He stopped at my parents to pick me up and before we left Elwood happened to stop by on his way to go dancing. Brandon could never remember his name afterward, but he'd ask about the "guy who liked to dance".

I was at the funeral home last night, just outside of the parlor where he lay, and I realized that the very last time I saw him I was standing in that same place at Buddy Tyler's visitation a few months ago. I was in a long line waiting to pay my respects when Elwood walked up to sign the guest book. He saw me, smiled, and stopped to talk to me for a minute. I never imagined that would be the last time I saw him alive.

When he passed away three days ago I know there was a great reunion in Heaven between him, his little boy, and all of the great Pitts men and women who are waiting there for us. Though it's hard to imagine him gone, I know he's smiling that smile of his and dancing down the streets of Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment